27 June 2015

Carrot Fried Rice - How-To

It's a quiet, cold and drizzly Saturday morning and I'm in the mood for carrot fried rice, so when I'm done here, I'm off to make a new batch.

Meanwhile, here's a picture of the last batch I made. To hydrate the rice you see below, I used one part white rice and two parts combined liquid of homemade chicken stock and freshly juiced carrots. About three parts chicken stock to one part carrot juice and bam, look at that pretty yellow rice.

Turmeric does a nice job as well and so does saffron, but I wanted to use carrot juice instead of turmeric and saffron is out of my price range.

As the rice hydrates on the stove-top,  I prep and cook the carrots, onions and celery. Sometimes I add fresh locally grown organic garlic and ginger, other times I leave it out.

That's how I make yellow rice.  Basic but oh so yummy.

PS: The rice isn't really fried, but that's what we call it.
PPS: I love my new car.
PPPS: I love my new Breville
PPPPS: I have the best Hubby in all the land.

I love spicy peanuts on mine, but was out that day.

22 comments:

  1. It does look pretty and especially good with all the veggies in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's batch has asparagus in it. Now I'm down to two bunches, left.

      You might like this too, Jo. On the stove-top as I type is a HUGE cauldron of asparagus stock. I've used up all those tough ends, and tossed a few other veggies in there as well.

      YUM!

      PS: Did you have asparagus for breakfast today?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And so easy. No chicken stock, vedge stock works great too.

      Delete
  3. Much healthier for you than real fried rice.
    I could make that easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use organic homemade chicken stock, but even a veggie stock works nicely too.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's one of my most favorite things to eat, though with spicy peanuts. Love that. Or regular peanuts and a quality hot sauce.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good. Does the carrot juice make it sweet ?
    I make my rice in a rice maker. (I love it) If I make rice I always make some extra and save it for another day.
    Then I use what every veg I have on hand saute, (even pineapple) scrambled a egg plus if I have leftover chicken and peanuts if possible. Toss with some good soy sauce, gluten free if needed.
    Best leftover meal ever.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it sweet but that would depend on your carrots and juicer. If you say juice baby carrots, that might be sweeter than a whole carrot.

      I love, love, love peanuts in my rice with spice. Carrot fried rice with peanuts is one of my favorite things to eat. Yum. Tim will eat his with some kind of meat or shrimp but I just like mine as clean as possible.

      Cool beans on the rice maker.

      What's for supper tonight?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link to the ice cream in a Nutri-Bullet. We are out of frozen fruit right now but I will definitely be trying it. Will let you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime, Birdie. Excited to hear how it works. What she made looked darn good.

      Delete
  7. Yummy! I love rice, especially rice that's been spruced up like this.

    It's a total love fest over at your place. And look at that...we've both got the best hubbies. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun way to hydrate the rice. Though ANY stock works nicely.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to want some of that tomorrow when it's supposed be rainy and cold here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the cold? Cold here again today.

      Delete
  9. That looks delicious, Ivy!
    I love fried rice....I have my own version...
    Still raining here....geesh...enough already!
    Enjoy your day!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a million ways to make rice and I love changing it up. One thing I don't enjoy, is meat with my carrot rice. How about you?

      Delete